Are you heading out for weekend camping, the beach, enjoying a picnic or an overnight?
Whatever it may be, you will want one of the coleman coolers to tag alone. Whether it will for keeping your beverages cold and preserving your food. What better way of doing this than using Coleman brand coolers.
When it comes to coolers, it is not enough to simply have one; instead, you need one that is able to retain ice for as long as required. Coleman coolers are among the most common and popular coolers in the market.
When it comes to Coleman coolers there are a good number of selections that you choose from that is from their prices and sizes. In this review, we will look at the top 8 models that you can go for.
Coleman coolers are known for their durability, their ability to retain ice for longer periods of time, the high-quality products and a reliable manufacturer’s name. You simply cannot go wrong with a Coleman cooler.
Factors to Consider Before Purchasing a Cooler
Our Top Picks
- 1 Durability
- 2 Its cost
- 3 Its capacity
- 4 Ice retention capacity
- 5 Our First Pick: Coleman 9-Can Soft Cooler– the best soft coolers
- 6 Our Second Pick: Coleman 16-Can Soft Cooler– Easy to clean cooler
- 7 Our Third Pick: Coleman Xtreme Cooler– the best ice retention cooler
- 8 Our Fourth Pick: Coleman 48-Quart Cooler– the best affordable cooler
- 9 Our Fifth Pick: Coleman Xtreme 50-Quart Wheeled Cooler– best wheeled cooler
- 10 Our Sixth Pick: Coleman 100qt Wheeled cooler– the best wheeled and affordable cooler
- 11 Our Seventh Pick: Coleman Steel Belted Cooler– best day trip cooler with stainless steel
- 12 Our Eighth Pick: Coleman 62-Quart Xtreme Cooler– the best wheeled for any terrain cooler
When it comes to coolers, they are mainly made for your outdoor activities. They are not gilded lilies which fall off when you have your cooler exposed to the rain for some time.
Different coolers have different amount of endurance that they are able to endure. For instance the Coleman, which we are reviewing, is well built for your outdoor endeavors.
You will notice a loss in durability in coolers, which are probably less expensive than other coolers due to the quality of material used.
The material used in making a cooler is very vital as it’s the backbone for the durability of your cooler.
When it comes to the hardware and the handles, they are the most probable places where a cooler will betray itself. It is therefore recommended that you check the handles and the hardware before making a purchase.
When getting a cooler, everything eventually lead to its price. You ought to balance on what you want and what you are able to afford.
This helps you in getting a cooler that is able to meet your needs and won’t put a hole in your pocket. In case money is no object then you go for any cooler.
In most cases, a portable cooler that goes for $400 can be a stretch; therefore, look for a cooler that is able to meet your budget.
When it comes to the price of a cooler, it is important that you are aware that when it comes to a larger cooler and one that is able to retain ice for of longer time; they cost more than your average cooler.
What are you planning to use your cooler for? In the event that you are to supply cold drinks to a small group of individuals at a tailgate party, then you will require something big for instance the Coleman 70 quart.
In case you will be required to carry a few cold drinks not to forget the hot dogs, to a picnic which is for low key get together; then the Coleman 16 can soft sided cooler is what you need.
Before you decide on a cooler, you need to really think on these lines; as it will determine the kind of cooler that you will be getting. Considering the capacity of your cooler, will help you avoid having an overstock and overstressed shoulder job or a nearly empty cooler.
Smaller coolers are ideal for day trips, but in case you are up for a long trip, then consider bigger coolers such as 48 quarts and above. This is because they have multiple uses and are more versatile.
Ice retention capacity
When it comes to features that a cooler offers; be very keen this is because; the smaller the cooler, the softer and thinner its walls are and the lower the price of your cooler, the shorter its ice retention capability.
In the event that you need a cooler that is able to last for a weekend, go for the more expensive model. This is because such models have a capacity of retaining ice for a longer period of time.
For instance when you go for the shoulder coolers that have rigid walls which pop out; they are not only affordable but convenient to.
In case you are going for them, do not expect them to hold ice for more than 2 to 3 days. Ensure that you are aware of the kind of ice retention that you need before purchasing a cooler.
A Comparison Table of the Best Coleman Coolers
|Product Name||Best Feature|
|Coleman 9-Can Soft Cooler||The cooler has a removable hard liner which makes it more versatile and easy to clean|
|Coleman 16-Can Soft Cooler||The cooler is able to fit 6 tall bottles of soda and still have some space for ice filling.|
|Coleman Xtreme Cooler||The cooler has an excellent ice retention capability. This is due to its thick insulation and plastic walls that do a great job in retaining ice|
|Coleman 48-Quart Cooler||There is a drain plug which is leak resistant allowing you to empty the cooler|
|Coleman Xtreme 50-Quart Wheeled Cooler||The cooler has an extending handle and wheels which makes it easy to transport it around.|
|Coleman 100qt Wheeled Cooler||The cooler has wheels and tow handle which makes it much easier to transport the cooler especially when it is full and heavy.|
|Coleman Steel Belted Cooler||The cooler has a stainless steel handles, hinges that are heavy duty; therefore you will not find the handles and latches ripping off.|
|Coleman 62-Quart Xtreme Cooler||On the opposite end of the wheels there is a tow handle, which allows you to be able to easily pull the cooler instead of carrying it|
Our First Pick: Coleman 9-Can Soft Cooler– the best soft coolers
When it comes to the Coleman 9-Cans Cooler, it has a size that is able to fit 9 standard sized aluminum cans. The cooler weighs 1.2 pounds; it has a removable hard liner which makes it more versatile and easy to clean. The cooler has an adjustable shoulder strap, bungees and zippers that offer an extra storage; the cooler also comes in four different colors.
The Coleman 9-Can Soft Coolers has a poor ice retention capability. The cooler was not design to be able to hold large amount of ice. The cooler is suited for ensuring that your lunch or snack stays cool. As mentioned earlier the cooler is able to accommodate 9 cans leaving some space that you can fill with ice, which wouldn’t last for more than a day.
The Coleman 9-Can cooler is small enough to be able to fit in a working refrigerator up to your lunch time hours. With its hard plastic liner, you can be able to utilize the regular ice inside the cooler. In the event that you prefer to use ice substitutes, remove the liner and use the cooler without the presence of the hardliner.
This cooler also has heat welded seams which prevents your cooler from leaking water. This feature is especially vital in case you have packed your cooler using regular ice, as you won’t have water leaking from the cooler. The cooler has a low cost, lower than the average cost of a Coleman brand coolers. This is because of its small size as it costs way less to make it.
- It has an interior liner that is antimicrobial which keeps the inside of the cooler from smelling
- There is a removable hard liner which allows you use regular ice with the cooler
- The cooler is small in size
- Some users have reported that the cooler keeps their items cold for only three hours
- The cooler is not the best when it comes to holding ice
Our Second Pick: Coleman 16-Can Soft Cooler– Easy to clean cooler
The Coleman 16-Can Soft Cooler is able to fit 16 standard sized aluminum cans or in other words, the cooler is able to fit 6 tall bottles of soda and still have some space left. The cooler weighs 2 pounds with a removable hard liner. The cooler is also exceptionally easy to clean with a shoulder strap; it has bungees and zippers for an exterior storage.
The Coleman 16-Can Cooler comes in blue and red colors, some reviewers would prefer addition of more colors. This cooler is great for a lunch of two, for instance a sports outing. The Coleman 16-Cans Cooler is poor in its ice retention. This cooler was not design to be able to store ice for a long period of time. The cooler is only able to keep your drinks cold for a day.
When you compare this cooler with its predecessor, its sleek design, outer grip and the updated handles are a nice addition. When it comes to this model, it has a higher price range online with a low quality make, when you compare with other companies that offer products at the same price range.
- The cooler is exceptionally easy to clean, it has EZ-Clean top which is able to wipe easily.
- The cooler has good insulation
- The cooler has durable integrated lid hinges
- The cooler is only able to allow 16 cans to fit with spaces for ice
- The cooler is tight squeeze with an ice pack
Our Third Pick: Coleman Xtreme Cooler– the best ice retention cooler
The Coleman Xtreme Cooler has a size of 28inches by 18nches by 16inches. The cooler is able to fit 100 can or in other words 40pounds of ice.
It weighs 14 pounds, it has cup holders on the lid, drain spout, a versatile size, thick plastic handles, its lid is able to support up to 250 pounds and the cooler comes in three different colors.
The Coleman Xtreme Cooler has an excellent ice retention capability. This is due to its thick insulation and plastic walls that do a great job in retaining ice.
The cooler is able to retain ice for 4 to 5 days, although for day 5 it could be a bit of a stretch for the cooler, it’s dependent on how frequent you opened your lid. Therefore, having day 5 of ice retention is possible when you have ideal conditions.
The Coleman Xtreme Cooler lid is attached to two hinges, which with time it starts to wear out and becomes damaged. The cooler is ideal for your weekend trips, boating, day trips and beach days and so much more.
- The cooler is excellent when it comes to ice retention
- The cooler is able to fit up to 100 cans inside it
- The cooler is able to keep your items cold for 4 to 5 days
- The cooler does not have a rubber gasket for a tight seal
- The cooler can be heavy when its full and it does not have wheels to make it easy to transport
Our Fourth Pick: Coleman 48-Quart Cooler– the best affordable cooler
When it comes to the Coleman 48-Quart Cooler it has a size of 48 quarts. It’s able to hold up to 63 cans when it’s stacked. The cooler is tall enough to be able to fit up to 2 liter pop bottles that are at an upright position. The Coleman 48-Quart Cooler has a weight of 8 pounds.
The cooler has an average ice retention capability, its insulation is not the greatest, and its plastic insulation is not that thick especially when you compare it with Yeti.
When it comes to this cooler, you will be able to still have your drinks cold for a day at the beach with the cooler under the sun. In case you want to use it for an overnight, you will notice a lot of ice loss.
The cooler has some of the following features such as; versatile size, lid that is able to close tightly, presence of a drain spout.
The cooler is available in different colors blue or red and the cooler is also quite affordable. When it comes to the Coleman 48-Quart Cooler it is great for an overnight trip, picnics, thawing meat, beach days and hosting of parties.
- There is a drain plug which is leak resistant allowing you to empty the cooler
- The cooler is able to retain ice for up to three days
- The lid is hinged therefore allowing you to open and close the cooler with ease
- The cooler is made with eco-friendly manufacturing process, which reduces carbon monoxide emissions from manufacturing foam.
- The cooler has thin plastic walls which is not great for ice retention
- Its handle sand hinges are weakly attached
- The cooler does not have a lid gasket
Our Fifth Pick: Coleman Xtreme 50-Quart Wheeled Cooler– best wheeled cooler
The Coleman Xtreme 50-Quart Wheeled Cooler is 23inches by 18inchs and 18inches. It’s able to hold up to 84 cans and has a weight of 11 pounds. The cooler has an extending handle and wheels which makes it easy to move it around.
Its lid is able to support up to 250 pounds of weight, it also has cup holders on its lid. Its lid hinge and attachment is better than that of the 70-quart model. The cooler has a versatile size; it’s excellent for an overnight, beach or camping getaway.
The Coleman Xtreme cooler has an excellent ice retention capability; it’s able to keep your goods cold for 4 to 5 days. Its plastic walls and thick insulation does a great job in retaining ice. Its lid is firmly attached; you will therefore not have any issues with the lid.
- The cooler has wheels enabling you to pull it from behind as you move, this eases transportation
- The cooler has a capacity of 50 quarts and 84 beverage cans, this shows that it has a lot of room.
- The cooler has 4 cup holders mounted on its lid, giving you a place to rest your drink.
- Its lid is insulated allowing the cooler to retain its ice for 5 days
- It has a telescoping handle which makes it easy for you pull the cooler around
- This cooler can be a bit small for some families
- It doesn’t have a rubber gasket
- Some users have had issues of the wheels breaking off when pulling the cooler
- Sand can be able to get into the wheels, it is therefore essential that that you wash it after use.
Our Sixth Pick: Coleman 100qt Wheeled cooler– the best wheeled and affordable cooler
The Coleman 100qt Wheeled Cooler has a size of 36inches by 17inches and 16inches. It’s able to fit 160 cans; its weight is 18pounds and is able to contain 100 quarts.
The cooler has wheels and tow handle which makes it much easier to transport the cooler especially when it is full and heavy.
Its lid is able to support up to 250 pounds, the cup holder that is on the lid is also quite affordable. This cooler is great for a weekend getaway, you can be able to use it for long trips, parties, entertainment and big family gatherings just to mention a few.
The Coleman 100qt Wheeled Cooler has an excellent ice retention capacity, its insulation being very good. With this cooler you can have up to 4 days of ice retention, in case you have good weather conditions its ice retention capacity can go for more days.
- The cooler is exceptionally easy to use
- It has hefty hinges
- The cooler is able to hold ice for 5 days
- It’s the Best Buy Award winning cooler
- The cooler is available in different sizes
- Presence of plastic lid hinges which are not the best quality
- The cooler does not have a rubber lid gasket
- Other reviewers noted that its handles are not that comfortable
Our Seventh Pick: Coleman Steel Belted Cooler– best day trip cooler with stainless steel
When it comes to the Coleman Steel Belted Cooler, its size is 16inches by 24inches and 24 inches. It is tall enough to be able to hold 2liter bottles in an upright position. The cooler has a can capacity of 85 with a weight of 18 pounds.
When it comes to ice retention of this cooler, it is good but it is recommended to be used for day trips and not overnights. This is because; the cooler is able to keep your goods cold for 36 hours, making it go for more than 48 hours will be pushing hard the capability of the cooler.
With its old fashioned style, the Coleman Steel Belted Cooler looks great. The cooler is available in 6 additional colors which includes; red, stainless steel and black. The cooler has a stainless steel handles, hinges that are heavy duty; therefore you will not find the handles and latches ripping off. The cooler also has an in-built bottle opener which is just excellent.
The Coleman Steel Belted Cooler also has a 6 year limited warranty, making it a great choice for your money.
- The cooler has a great look due to its old fashion design
- The cooler is available in different colors
- The cooler has a 6 year warranty
- Its hinges and stainless steel handles are heavy duty, therefore they do not easily rip off
- The cooler has an in-built bottle opener
- The cooler is heavy in its weight as it weighs 18 pounds
- The cooler does not have a rubber lid gasket
Our Eighth Pick: Coleman 62-Quart Xtreme Cooler– the best wheeled for any terrain cooler
When it comes to the Coleman 62-Quart Xtreme Cooler, it is the perfect cooler for a large family or friends outings. This cooler has the capability of storing ice for up to 5 days at temperatures of 90F. With this feature, you do not need to worry about your beverages or food getting warm.
This cooler has wheels which makes it easy for you to transport your cooler form one place to another. The wheels of the cooler are of all terrain, with the wheels you do not have to carry your cooler instead you can simply pull it behind you. The wheels also allow you to transport the cooler when you have filled it to its capacity.
On the opposite end of the wheels there is a tow handle which allows you to be able to easily pull the cooler instead of carrying it.
This is being considerate to the user of the cooler especially when it’s full to its capacity. When it comes to this cooler, you ought to be ready to pay more than the average cost of a cooler.
Its high price rate is justified by the presence of wheels, its superior insulation and its large capacity which make this cooler to be a premium product.
- The cooler has a large capacity that allows it to hold up to 85 cans with spaces filled with ice.
- The wheels of the cooler are made from a hard plastic, which makes the cooler traverse all terrain without having to brake
- The cooler is able to retain ice for up to 5 days at temperatures of 90F making it ideal for the summer season
- Its lid has slots that are for holding up of 4 drinks securely and maintaining them cold
- The cooler has a tow handle that you can use to pull the cooler behind you
- Some reviewers have reported that its drain plug leaks water creating a mess
- Other reviewers have reported that the cooler is not able to retain ice for as long as it’s advertised.
The review above is to help you in deciding which Coleman cooler is best for you. When it comes to Coleman coolers they speak for themselves and are among the best coolers available in the market.
In the event that you are going for a long excursion such as camping, the Coleman Xtreme coolers will be more appropriate for you. This is because; the coolers guarantee that you will have cold drinks and your food preserved throughout your excursion.
Coleman Xtreme coolers also give you an easier time in transportation with their wheels. It is essential that you have in mind that these coolers are best for overnights or day trips and are not easy to carry around.
This review also deals with factors that you ought to consider before purchasing a cooler, for instance its durability, ice retention and cost among others. Be sure to look at this factors be for you get yourself a cooler.